Thursday, February 11, 2010

1st birthday party? yay or nay?

Hawaii peeps are crazy when it comes to baby 1st birthday parties. They go all out. It's like a wedding with 100+ guests, games, entertainment, food, the works. I told myself that I couldn't see spending all that money and putting so much work into a party that Camden won't even remember. But, I also know that this party is 1) somewhat a Hawaii tradition and 2) is more for the grandparents and family rather than the celebrant.

If I am to plan a huge-ish birthday bash, I need to start doing it ASAP. Booking a place is tough I hear, as venues for this kind of thing book up fast. Last night, I did some research online for party ideas and admittedly did get kinda excited for a themed birthday party. That could be really fun! Especially since I'm not working right now, I have the time to invest in a real bash and also hopefully find good deals without breaking the bank.

At the same time, I don't want to do the same 'ole, same 'ole party that everyone in Hawaii does. I also don't want it to get too out of hand in terms of cost, scale and the dreaded guest list.

So, I'm torn.

Should I throw a huge bday bash or keep is small and simple? Maybe there's a way to do something in between? (I kinda doubt it cause once I get started I bet it will be really hard to stop!) Hmm....

2 comments:

  1. We went to a traditional Hawaiian 1st birthday bash here in Seattle. It was crazy but a lot of fun. I say go native.

    Ese

    ReplyDelete
  2. native. lol. well, if i do...you guys should fly down and come!! :)

    ReplyDelete