Tuesday, February 3, 2009

and the verdict is...

...pregnant! Went to our first doctor's appointment on Fri., Jan. 30 and it's official. The little kidney bean-looking fetus is actually there. Brian came with me to the doc and was the dutiful, patient husband. He even asked a couple questions! Good job, honey. :)

The physician's assistant did the run down of pregnancy do's and don'ts (do workout, don't eat too much fish with mercury, etc. etc.). She seems like she hates her job and can't stand answering first time pregnant women questions all day long. I asked about traveling, which is fine. But all her answers were very curt and cold. Needless to say, we did not like her and I'm glad she's not my doctor. I actually hope I never have to deal with her again.

After the questions, filling out forms and a general pap, it was off to the ultrasound room. It's weird being next to that machine. I've only seen it on TV and to know that it will be used on me and I get to SEE something growing inside me is quite surreal. My doc comes in and I love this lady. She is so sweet and understanding. She says she can sometimes do the ultrasound over the belly and thinks that will work for me. I'm glad about this. The less invasive, the better.

She puts the clear jelly stuff (wth is this for anyway?) on my belly, rubs the thingy (do you like my medical terms?) over my uterus, and voila! My insides are now up on the monitor.

It all looks black, grey and kinda fuzzy. But thanks to my pregnancy books, I can decipher the colorless mess somewhat. I know that the dark black blob is my uterus. There's a small part inside the black blob that's white. Yup! There's the fetus! She points at it and then says, "And there's the heartbeat." Um....what??!

Within the whitish bean is a small pulsating slit. It's pulsating. Crazy. "What?" Brian says aloud. LOL. He's so funny. But that was my thought exactly.

She measures the bean and estimates that I'm actually about 7 weeks pregnant, not 8 like I had thought. Here's a couple pictures of the little miracle!




No comments:

Post a Comment