Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It just doesn't taste the same

No morning sickness yet (knock on wood!) but I have noticed that foods just don't taste the same to me anymore. I wouldn't exactly call them aversions -- I can still pretty much eat anything -- but what seems appetizing to me changes day-to-day. One day last week, the only thing that sounded good to me for dinner was soup. So Brian, the loving hubby that he is, went to the store on his way home from work and bought me some. Well, not some. More like 20 cans of soup. Leave it to Brian to take it to the extreme.

Last week was also my salt-kick week. I first noticed it as I was eating the low-salt "healthy choice" soup Brian got. These are the soups we usually buy, but for some reason they were just too darn bland. Low-salt somehow now means "tastes like crap." I found myself with the salt shaker in hand trying to make the soup more tasty. It didn't work. So, with 18 cans still left in the pantry, that was the end of my soup craving.

Salt and I were best friends last week and ume and rice became my favorite snack. Unfortunately, I don't think pickled plum mixed with carbs is doing the baby much good from a nutrition standpoint. But it didn't make me stop wanting salt. Then Brian came home one day with a jar of pickles. He does pay attention! Boy, do I love those pickles. What a sad, pregnant woman cliche I've become. But those pickles are GOOD.

This week, I seem to be on the downward slope of my sodium overload. (Maybe a weekend of Hon's did the trick?) That's the good news. The bad news is that I can't seem to figure out what I want. Nothing is really appetizing to me but nothing is terribly unappetizing either. After I eat something, I'm not satisfied. I know I want something else, but I can't pinpoint what it is that will make me happy. It's quite annoying.

Oh well. At least I'm not throwing up everything I put down...

No comments:

Post a Comment