Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Telling the rents

Brian and I agreed that we'd tell our parents after we saw the doctor. No time like the present. After my appointment, I called my parents. My dad answered the phone and I asked him to get mom on too. I'm sure they suspect something at this point because when do I ever want to talk to both of them at the same time? Brian and I have my cell phone on speaker so it's the full family convo. My mom gets on the phone and we break the good news!

Mom's excited and said she "had a feeling." Something about a dream she had...this is so my mom. :) Dad is also excited, but in my dad's way. Says little, but I know he's happy about being a grandpa. Right, daddy?

Since Brian's mom was at work on Friday, we don't get a chance to catch them together until Saturday morning. They made the 4-way conversation easy by answering his dad's cell phone and immediately putting it on speaker. Brian announces that "We're pregnant!" Brian's mom says, "What?" He says it again. "What?" his mom says again. Either Brian mumbles more than I thought or speaker phones on both ends may not have been the best idea.

He says it yet again, almost shouting it this time, and they finally get it! Both are very excited, especially Brian's mom. No surprise there!

We make sure to tell both sets of parents that they can't tell anyone yet. Not even extended family. We need to get through the first trimester before shouting it from rooftops -- even though sometimes I feel like I want to!

My mom was first to slip up (that I know of). I talked to her yesterday and apparently she couldn't help but tell my Aunty Sandy. Geez, mom!! Let's just hope the coconut wireless isn't in full effect...

No comments:

Post a Comment