Thursday, April 2, 2009

side sleeping sucks

Week 16 and "they" say it's time to stop sleeping on your back and switch to your side. Preferably the left side because supposedly circulation to your uterus is best that way.

I've taken to sleeping with a pillow between my knees to make side sleeping more bearable. I find that I don't move too much when I sleep, which I guess is a good thing. At least I'm not rolling onto my back in the middle of the night defeating the purpose of my efforts. On the other hand, I then wake up totally sore -- left side of the face pressed like a pancake, arm and shoulder aching -- cause sleeping on your side all night is not comfortable! So, I've been switching back and forth from the left side to the right so I can actually get a good night's rest. But each time I'm on my right side, I feel guilty. In my head I think, "No, no...the left side is better. You're cutting off circulation to the baby!" and then I have a hard time sleeping.

Last night, I tried a body pillow for the first time. Why have I not been sleeping with this thing all my life? It's just lovely!! Better than a regular old pillow between the knees cause the long pillow can wrap around your back to give you more support. Genius! Unfortunately, it does nothing for the pancake face and achy muscles. Now I know why so many women go to yoga during pregnancy...

No comments:

Post a Comment