Thursday, April 9, 2009

17 weeks is nothing compared to these ladies.


Went to my first prenatal yoga class today. It was at a studio I used to go to but haven't been to in years. There were about 12 people in the class (though usually the instructor said there's about 20) and as they all strolled in and plopped themselves down on their mats, I felt like maybe I started this class too early. All these ladies had REAL pregnant bellies, not the katsu belly I have at the moment. I'm starting to get a little embarrassed being here. Then before starting class, the teacher announces that she wants us all to go around the room and introduce ourselves, say how far along we are, and why we're here (relaxation, pain in certain parts of body, etc). Great. Is my face flushed and turning red yet?

And so it begins. Prego lady #1 is 38 weeks!! My embarrassment is rising to the next level. I'm also a little concerned that this lady will go into labor in the middle of class. But I give her credit! I hope I'm still doing yoga when I'm that far along. Prego lady #2, 36 weeks. Hmmmm. Prego lady #3, 24 weeks...okay, that's a little better. And on and on. Everyone was at least 24 weeks and here's little 'ole me at 17. Oh well, it's not a competition, right?? The teacher comes around to me and I say "I'm only 17 weeks." I couldn't help myself. I felt inferior to the round bellies around me. I don't know what else I said but my spiel was quickly over and they continued around the room.

Class begins and the instructor is really good. Calming voice and she goes through a lot of great poses. It felt like yoga, not just stretching, which is what I'm looking for. If I'm gonna pay $$ to go to these classes it better be more than what I can just do on my own at home!

It's the end of the 1 1/2 hour class and my true test for whether or not a yoga class is worth it is here. At the end of all yoga classes, they have you lie down and relax for a few minutes to let your body feel the effects of the practice and rejuvenate. If I feel tired and relaxed enough to pleasantly doze off as I lie there in shavasana, I've had a good class.

The ruling? I drifted, I was happy, I have found my prenatal yoga class.

No comments:

Post a Comment