Thursday, March 11, 2010

makin' cam some baby food

I knew I wanted to try and make Cam's baby food for various reasons. 1) I'm home, so I have time to do it. 2) It's more economical. 3) I know exactly what's going into the baby food.

He tried rice cereal and seemed to like it at first. And then he didn't. So then I tried oatmeal. He seems to like that better. But then I started to think that he didn't really like the taste of either. He'd fuss and cry after awhile and I couldn't get him to eat much at times. I know some of this is just the solid food eating process and normal. But it had been a couple weeks so I decided to see if he'd react differently to some kind of vegetable. (I debated giving fruits first but decided against it)

Peas seemed easy and a vegetable that's somewhat sweet.

Let's try it.

Looking at the "dirty dozen" list, I didn't buy organic frozen peas as regular peas should be fine. And cheaper.

Got home and steamed them. Bad move. The inside of the peas didn't soften enough. I should have boiled them instead? Oh well. Microwave it is.

Peas are a little softer so I tried mashing it with a fork to see how far I'd get. Um, not very far.

Bust out the blender and put all the mashed peas in. Seems dry so I add water. That should work to help puree it, right? (I'm totally guessing at this point. In hindsight, more research would have been smart).

Water seemed to work well and I now have what looks like baby food! Finally, 2 hours later.

Put them in an ice cube tray and have peas to last me awhile. Think to myself that Cam better like these peas cause I worked so hard making them!!

Next day, feed Cam the peas mixed with a little bit of formula. He likes it!! Nice. He seems to like it much better than the oatmeal so I think it has to do with taste.

Three days of peas and no allergic reaction that I can see. He tends to fuss at some feedings like he doesn't want to eat solids of any kind at all. He wants his milk. I find that switching back and forth usually does the trick. Sometimes he needs to just drink his milk first and then he's willing to eat his solids. Whatever gets him to eat, I suppose.

Next venture? Sweet potato. Mmm mmm.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of mine didn't like the cereals either. They preferred fruits and veggies. Did you try and mix a little of the peas with the cereal? Sometimes they like that better.

    xoxo....shelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup. he likes it better when i mix sweet potato with the cereal. he'll eat the veggies on their own, no problem! i think the cereal is too bland. i'm trying to do veggies before fruits. i think green beans or squash is next...altho green beans sounds yucky to me! haha

    ReplyDelete