Wednesday, March 24, 2010

kabocha squash is really pumpkin.

Next on my veggie list was squash. Brian went to the market for me and came back with kabocha squash. Technically, it's a Japanese "squash" but it looks and tastes like a pumpkin. That would be a fruit, right? Eh. I did a little bit of research and it seems to be a good baby food. I doubt no one but Hawaii/Japanese peeps use it though. Kinda like how only Hawaii babies eat poi (which I really want to try just to see how Camden reacts!)

Anyway, making kabocha baby food was HARD WORK. So, I documented the process for posterity.

First, Brian had to cut the pumpkin -- no easy task.

Then, he had to peel the skin with a vegetable peeler. This was a total pain in the ass as well. But, he got it done! What a good hubby.

Cut it in half and it looked like this:



I then cut it into small cubes. The meat is really tough so I had to cut slowly. After that, it was time for steaming! About 12 minutes and it was very soft. Faster than I thought, so that was a plus.



After steaming, it was off to the trusty magic bullet. I love this thing. It can puree, blend and even grind coffee beans. Might be the greatest $50 we ever spent.



Added water as the pureeing went along and in the end, had enough pumpkin for three ice cube trays. Thankfully, Camden seems to like it because believe me, after all that this kid is eating kabocha for awhile.



And that's my life as a desperate housewife making my own baby food. It's sort of fun. Who knew?

4 comments:

  1. It IS fun, isn't it?! I wish I had taken pictures when I was doing it. Another EASY way to cook any squash/pumkin is by baking it. Cut it in half, scoop out seeds, place in a baking pan with about an inch of water and bake. Then, just scoop out the meat and blend. =) YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really is like cooking. little things -- the process, timing, etc makes a big difference! thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I made mine I just baked it at 400 for 45 mins then scooped it out. Soft enough to mash with a spoon took just seconds :)

    ReplyDelete