Thursday, June 11, 2009

Touchpoints

Recommended to me by my early learning research friends and then also by my pediatrician. Not a book to read cover-to-cover as there's a lot of info there, but one to keep around as your child grows and goes through different stages of development. It's organized well, both by age and then also by category.

It's surprisingly a good, interesting read. Not a bunch of research jargon to bore the pants off you. I love anything early learning since 1) I'm a firm believer in it and 2) the brain science and emotional development stuff fascinates me!

What I like about this book is that it covers cognitive, emotional AND behavioral development issues. Everything from asthma and allergies to temperament to tantrums.

I especially love the grandparents chapter! Helps parents to better understand grandparents actions and vice versa. (parenting how you were parented, parents needing independence, natural competition for the child, etc.) And at the end of the chapter, there's a great list of guidelines for grandparents on how to effectively be involved in your grandchild's life.

Now, I vow not to be one of those "only goes by the book mothers." I'll have to roll with the punches and go with the flow. But this book is a good foundation for me to start from in terms of parenting style and philosophies.

I told my mom about the book and she promised to get a copy and read the intro (all about the theory of "touchpoints") and the grandparents chapter at a minimum. :) Thanks, mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment