Thursday, January 21, 2010

We're baaaaack.

Oh blog, how I've missed you.

Here we are, finally in Hawaii and I'd say 80% settled in. We arrived Jan. 5 and spent the last couple of weeks getting half of our stuff out of the shipping container and into my parents' house (Yes, I'm living with my folks again temporarily. Not ideal for us nor them!), the other half into storage. That was a process and a half. Brian worked his little butt off getting the boxes unpacked and moving furniture around to create a semi-private, livable space for the three of us. We have our oh-so-comfy brown couch, a hutch that now holds all of Camden's books and toys, a table that's been converted to a desk for this computer, all surrounded by a bunch of Camden's stuff.

We bought a new tv and Brian found a $16 tv stand that's actually pretty nice. I had to wash ALL of my clothes that were packed in boxes because they came out smelling like cigarette smoke. Bleh. We ran errands and got things like shampoo, trash bags, baby wipes, etc. We changed our WA license plates for HI ones (they only give you 30 days to change them) and did our safety checks. Brian got his Hawaii driver's license but I still need to find time to go and stand in the long dmv line to do the same.

Then, just as we were really getting things unpacked an in its place, Brian threw his back out! He moved heavy box after heavy box for DAYS and then one morning, he was reaching for a blanket, a blanket, and wham! He heard a pop and was crippled. He couldn't walk or move for 24 hours and then was walking really crooked for the next few days. He went the the chiropractor and that helped, but it came at a hefty price. His back is better now but he needs to get in shape before it happens again. I so don't want to have to take care of two babies all over again. Ha.

Brian started work on Tuesday. He's enjoying it so far and loves that he can leave work at 3pm. It sure must be different though. I imagine it's another world on base. I know he has to be able to identify people's ranks when he encounters them and address them properly -- major, lieutenant, general. All this change doesn't seem to phase him though. Either that or he hides it well.

Me, I'm more open about what a huge change this has been. Some days, I'm completely overwhelmed with it all. Other days, I'm much more calm and optimistic. I think it's just gonna take all of us awhile to get our feet planted here again.

All the while, Camden's his usual happy self! He didn't cry once on the plane (thank goodness!) and adjusted quickly to the 2 hour time difference. I wonder how much he understands. Like, does he realize that we've moved out of our old house? Is he waiting for the day we go back to his familiar Seattle surroundings or could he really care less? They say babies don't have long memories at this age so I'm guessing it's the latter.

So, here we are and here we'll stay. Unless we really are crazy and want to move somewhere else. Japan? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment