Thursday, August 19, 2010

i love mango! i hate bananas. i love bananas! i hate mango.

Camden's eating continues to evolve. He's moved on to more finger foods with favorites like Graduate puffs (that i call "stars"), baby mum mums and his number one fave, cheerios!

His latest thing is also finally holding his bottle! I've been trying to get him to do this for months but he wasn't interested in it. He'd turn it upside down, examine the bottle and for the life of him, could not figure out how to tilt it upwards to make the milk come down. But just this past week, it somehow clicked for him and now he gets mad if you try to hold the bottle for him. Independence. I like it!

In terms of finger foods, I've been trying different fruits and veggies on him (with the occasional piece of chicken and breads). He likes pear but I think when I tried to give it to him he hadn't quite mastered chewing and swallowing yet so he struggled with it. The other week, he was in LOVE with mango and ate piece after piece. But then I tried giving it to him again a few days later and he wasn't having any of it. Bananas were on his dislike list for ages. Even pureed he hated it. But yesterday I tried giving him pieces to eat and he devoured them! Same thing this morning. Bananas in, mango out.

"They" say kids go through phases of liking and disliking foods. And that you should just keep offering a variety of things. Uh, what am I a ready-to-order chef? Right now it's okay because he's only picking at a few finger foods. Plus, he's being introduced to new tastes so I get that he hasn't quite figured out what he likes and doesn't like. But as he gets older, I don't think I can handle cooking him a "special" meal. You eat what i give you, kid. And if you don't like it? Well, tough luck. Will I force you to eat brussel sprouts? No. But if you can tolerate it, you're eating it. Mommy's lazy.

What I will have to figure out is how long I'm going to feed him organic foods. And what foods will remain organic and what I will be more laxed about. Cause ideally he should eat what we eat. But then that means I'm cooking organic for the entire family and that will get expensive!!

Anyone out there has words of wisdom on the matter? If so, please share. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wisdom? Don't know about that.

    My kids have those partitioned plates and so for dinner they have four different things. In one (or more) of the partitions is whatever Ton and I are eating. In the others are easy add-ons, usually fruits or dairy that I'm fairly confident they'll eat. They can eat or not eat whatever they want. BUT if they want dessert they have to try a bite of everything and eat a reasonable amount of the things they like. Eli will sometimes mess around and not eat anything until he sees Marin get a cookie and then he'll wolf everything down. And sometimes no one gets a dessert and that's fine too.

    Eventually Cam will figure out his preferences and you can still try and meet those without creating more work for yourself. For example, Marin will eat what we are eating but I have to separate her meat, fish or pasta before combining the sauce.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT advice!! thanks, ese! :)

    ReplyDelete