Saturday, August 22, 2009

2cm dilated, 50% effaced! tick, tick, tick...

Went to my now weekly doctor appointment on Thursday. She did the Group B strep culture test (they basically swab you and then if you're positive you have to take antibiotics during labor) and checked my cervix for the first time. This is how the examination went:

Doc: "Okay, I'm just going to check your cervix. Touch on your thigh...Oh, the baby's right there! You're 2cm dilated."

Me: "What?" (shocked look on face)

Doc: "Yup." (smiling with not a care in the world)

Me: "So...what does that mean?" (shock turning into excitement, turning into panic)

Doc: "Well, the baby's in position and you're progressing so that's good."

Me: "Does that mean I'll deliver early?"

Doc: "Well, it could be. You could deliver this week, or next..."

Me: "This week?!" (panic sets in...begin to freak out)

Doc: "Some women are dilated at 2cm for weeks so you could deliver right around your due date. But it's likely you'll deliver early. But your baby is full term so it's fine if you deliver now."

Me: (thinking in my head..."Uh, no! Not ready for this baby to come out yet! He needs to stay in! Stay in, stay in, stay in...." Outwardly, I think I just looked dumbfounded)

Doc: (chuckling) "Just try to hold the baby in for another week because I'm on vacation next week."

Me: "Uh, yah! I know."

That night Brian and I proceeded to rush around the house trying to get the baby room more organized, started packing our hospital bag and Brian began worrying about all the work he has to get done before baby gets here. He's at work right now in fact, and will probably work tomorrow too.

I ran errands yesterday...got some nursing tops and other essentials at Target. I also returned some things and bought some things at UVillage for baby. Tomorrow we're going to Costco to buy diapers and wipes and such.

So far, I feel the same. But I do feel somewhat like a ticking time bomb now that I know I'm dilated a bit. Being only 50% effaced makes me feel a little better though -- baby can't be too close if I still have another 50% to go (I hope!).

I REALLY want him to stay in another couple weeks...just make it to September, baby!!

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I was 2 cm dilated and 50-75% effaced for weeks, and then had to be induced with Lilah a week late. So....I think everyone's body is different. You could be early, on time, or late and induced. :) That's why it's so crazy and so stressful - you can't plan and even your doctor doesn't really know. My doctor was sure I'd have her before getting induced - and that didn't happen.
    Hope all is going well and that you guys are getting your necessities. You'll be surprised how very little you need at first, and then the things that you end up having to run out and get a few days after you get home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, on the one hand that's great to know cause i really want him to stay in until sept. on the other hand, i hope he's not too late! i guess he'll come when he's ready, right?

    hope all is well with you, lance and lilah!

    ReplyDelete